Art Store

Thursday, August 25, 2011

How Do You React?


Okay, it's not that I don't mind looking for jobs. I mean on some levels it can be fun. I like filling out the forms, and giving out my resumes. Yet, this whole not calling thing is starting to get on my nerves. I call people daily. Yet, I don’t get any replies. I love Spanish people, and I’m married to a Puerto Rican. However, I don’t understand why I should have to be bilingual in order to work in my home country. There are jobs that I meet the educational requirements for, but I can’t get them because of my lack of Spanish. To add insult to injury…I can’t get this stupid conversation out of my mind that I heard almost a year ago.

My family and I were at a restaurant celebrating my husband’s birthday. There was table full of people behind us talking about how they managed to not hire white people, and how they hired people of their own culture. Okay now I’m not white, and my husband is Puerto Rican. So we were both like wow. They are really talking about this in the open. They went on to talk about how some of the people they hired weren’t even qualified. Then they laughed about it and was like now they see how we feel. I wanted to jump up and dump salad in their laps, but I managed to hold my temper. Before that day I was 100% against any type of immigration reform. However, that prompted me think about it again.  We can’t have people holding jobs from people because of their race. In this case white people were being targeted and they didn’t even know. I believe that this is also going on with the African American race, but nobody wants to talk about. Understand that if people are bias against one group there is a good chance they are bias against all. 

I guess the question is...How do you react to a situation like this?Should I have confronted the people , or should I have just let it go…I posted it on Huffington Post because I was appalled.


No comments: