Art Store

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Muslim Irrationality

Living in Garland, Texas has a different meaning today than it did weeks ago. I feel like outsiders are trying to tear our town apart by attacking our mayor for having a heart. In times of war people often feel backed up against a wall. Even though we have been targeted by hate, we still need to keep our humanity. We have Muslim Americans here and guess what, they didn't attack us. They didn't do anything other than practice their religion and work like many of you. Some of you have taken the role of the aggressor by demeaning people here in our community.

Will the first person without sin, step up? At this point, crickets should be lining up and down your walls. If you look hard enough, there are plenty of ugly stereotypes that can be cast on us all. African Americans have the stereotype of being lazy and on welfare. White people have the stereotype of being racist killers throughout history. Hispanics have the stereotype of being illegal and rapist. Germans have the stereotype of being haters of Jewish people. Indians have the stereotypes of being drunks. Christians have the stereotypes of being judgmental and fanatics. These are stereotypes. We all are so much more than our history and our culture.

My husband was serving in Iraq when the Shock and Awe started. There I was with two small children getting ready to catch a flight after 9/11. I am talking months after 9/11! A group of Middle Eastern men made their way down the isle. I panicked. I froze and then they took the seat in my row. I remember feeling like my life was going to end. So, I started talking nonstop to the gentleman, in my arrogance I thought I could make them think twice about bringing the plane down. After we made it to the states, I had talked their ears off. People actually thought I was married the man closest to me because I was so inclusive, Again I thought my actions could change their mindset. They were terrorist, or at least that's what I told myself. After we finally made it to the ground a rush of embarrassment rushed across my face. I had talked these people to death because I was scared. I learned a lesson that day. I learned how ignorant I was for assuming the men meant me harm. I learned how little I knew about life and how people became racist. Racism is born out of fear. Don't assume you know an entire race because of the actions of a few. 

No comments: