Art Store

Thursday, April 21, 2016

Spotting A Potential Problem With An Interviewer.

Have you ever been to an interview and seen red flags but perhaps you ignored them because you needed the job?

One of the worst things a person can do in my opinion, is take a job that's going to lead to problems in the future. Sometimes we know certain jobs will create problems for us , but we still talk ourselves into taking them anyway. 

What are red flags? Red flags are negotiating facts that the interviewer starts to go back on. I am talking about things that have been discussed previously before you agreed to have a second interview. 

I'll give you a situation that happened to me this past week. Last week I started interviewing with a company, I won't say their name. Everything seemed OK in the beginning. On the first interview we talked about the times I would be available for work. We came down to agreement which basically stated I would be able to work the graveyard shift. 

Before my second interview, I'm talking about one night before, I received an email from the individual who was interviewing me. She came up with a totally different schedule. The schedule was one that I was familiar with because I worked it about 3 years ago. 

The schedule was a schedule that consisted of different times almost each day with a graveyard shift thrown in here and there. Now I don't know if you've ever worked a split shift, this is what she called it. Let me give you a little background on shifts that are so-called split. Over 3 years ago, I had just gotten off a graveyard shift of 16 hours and I was leaving work to try to race home and get my girls. After I placed the kids in the car I started pulling out infront of a big 18-wheeler. My kids started screaming, I was so tired that I couldn't even see this 18 wheeler that was about to hit us.

I finally was able to get myself straightened back on the road after shaking half to death. After I took my kids to school I went to the gas station and proceeded to put gas into the wrong person's car. All of this happened after the long graveyard shift. 

For people who suffer from depression or the bipolar disorder it is very important that we make sure we have a straight shift. There are some people who will tell you that we're not even supposed to work graveyard, but if we're going to work graveyard it needs to be a set shift.

 I guess to make a long story short, know what you can and can't do. Get to know the organization that you're interviewing for and ask questions during your interview. Do I miss being a Case Manager?  Yes, I miss it, but right now, life requires a set shift. 

No comments: