Art Store

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Freedom Of Speech Vrs Freedom To Be Safe- Garland Texas Incident -+

On Sunday night our city was targeted by extremist. These extremist were called out by other extremist because of their hate. Garland is home to many cultures and many people. Freedom of speech is one of our rights that makes us who we are, but at the same time, it can destroy us. In today's society we hear talk about our freedom the most, when we are insulting other people.

Our freedom came from the need to get rid of seditious libel which stood as a criminal offence under English Common law which was dated in the 1700's. The whole idea was to gain the right to say what we wanted and not be punished by the government. It was never created to hurt, attack, or spread hate among people. In theory I can say whatever I want to say. However, in reality, my words can get me in trouble. If I go online and start bashing my organization I can get fired. If I go online and send hateful words to certain people, I can get investigated or charged with harassment. 

I have so many problems with the events that went down on Sunday night. I have issues with the school board letting a hate group meet in our building and disrespect the very students who would meet there the next night. I have issues with outsiders coming into our city and preaching their hate. I can't believe someone would have the nerve to come to an area with parks and schools with terrorist on their heels. Most of all, I have a problem with these people coming into our city and getting our citizens shot over hate. The event was centered around hate and it ended with hate. 

Our policemen and their families deserve better than what they got that night. They were put on the front line of a battlefield because of ignorant people looking to start a fight. I am glad none of our cops died because of that event. I hate the fact that the other two men were killed, but sleeping gas wasn't going to prevent what they had planned. One bomb could have knocked off a block, or the unthinkable. The area had water parks, schools and parks near. The park often holds games for children on the weekends. There could have been all kinds of devastation. Thank God for our policemen!

Practice your free speech, but understand freedom is often misunderstood. If someone dies for your freedom, it really isn't free.
This park it near the location.




This place is in walking distance and a water park is even closer.



No comments: