Art Store

Sunday, April 8, 2012

How do authors deal with negative reviews?




This weekend has been a little difficult for me. I received a set of reviews that made me feel like I was writing for nothing. I will post the reviews at the end of the post. I don't think anyone likes negative reviews. However, some of the things that the reviews are talking about seem indifferent. I respect the fact that we all have the right to read and review the books we read. I just don't know what to think about the reviews. Some of the reviews make me question my ability to write. Am I only fooling myself? Maybe I suck as an author. I love writing short stories, but a lot of people don't seem to like short stories. I have put The Alien Recruitment on hold until I can figure out what I need to do. Part of me wants to bury my head down in the dirt and never come up again. However, that wouldn't solve anything. It's these moments that I wish my mother was alive. What would she tell me? I haven't dreamed of her for so long now. I remember when I had writer's block for the first time! I was going into the third month of not knowing what to do, and then one night I dreamed of her. It was one of the first dreams I recall after she passed away. I don't want her here in spirit I want her here beside me. I want her to tell me what to do...No matter how old we are; we still need our mothers. Well enough of the venting..I will post the reviews. I warn you they aren't pretty.


These are the reviews Blend In Harpy Hill


"4 of 5 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Tolerance education w out being preached at!January 29, 2012
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Blend In Harpy Hill (Kindle Edition)
This was an enjoyable read on being less judgey towards others. Too often it is expected that people will have tolerance for us and when it's not given we go into poor me mode while we turn around and judge others.

I rather enjoyed that the lessons in this story were wrapped in an unconventional wrapper of being a supernatural tale. It takes away the after school special feel while maintaining the ideals.

In all not a bad read at all."
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews 
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No

"1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars Not judgemental, but preachyApril 7, 2012
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Blend In Harpy Hill (Kindle Edition)
This is clearly a work with a christian slant, which is fine, but if that is not your cup of tea, I definitely would not recommend it."

*******

I hope the reviewer didn't give me a 2 star rating because my views spill into my work. Blend In Harpy Hill is a great story, but it mainly deals with teenagers trying to deal with who they are. We have so much going on with our youth right now...to be honest someone needs to reach out to them. I didn't think I was being preachy. Although I tried very hard to kill the idea that bullying was ever the right thing to do. We have so many children committing suicide. I just wanted to help them understand that it is okay to be different.


******
The Alien Recruitment

"2 of 3 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars My review of "The Alien Recruitment", [Kindle Edition] by S.B. Santiago.March 11, 2012
By 
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: The Alien Recruitment (Kindle Edition)
I came across this Kindle on the internet and the cover appealed to me. I read the book description and although it is Science Fiction and a genre I very seldom read, there was something that made me want to read it.

The author S.B. Santiago does have an imagination and the ability to create a great story and writes it in a way that makes reading it a joy.

I found this story to be well written, very interesting, and I recommend it as a good read."
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews 
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No

"0 of 2 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars This story would benefit from a good re-writeApril 7, 2012
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: The Alien Recruitment (Kindle Edition)
While 75% of this story showed decent development, the last 25% seemed to be a race to the end - leaving me in the dust, trying to figure out what was going on.

The transition between "scenes" is not smooth, and more than once I had to backtrack to see if I had missed something.

Even with good editing, I'm not certain that anything short of a re-write will help this story."
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews 
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No

"1 of 9 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Not for meMarch 11, 2012
By 
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: The Alien Recruitment (Kindle Edition)
This is a very short ebook, that has more "actors" in it than pages. This writer has imagination and should try to decide what she wants to write; be it science fiction or fantasy. Buy, read, rate and write you review. If you disagree with me so be it, but remember your opinion is important.



"2 of 2 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars A newish but promising author17 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Alien Recruitment (Kindle Edition)
I actually first got this book on Smashwords but it came to an abrupt end and I was eager for more. I went to review it find I couldn't because I had downloaded it free but it had become pay and the only way to review is to have bought.
I like the storyline of this book and it is clear that the author is relatively new to writing with a few minor mistakes but it is a page turner nontheless and the minor mistakes don't really spoil that.
It's a sci-fi story of a young girl rescued from Earth as it is destroyed by another race and enlisted in a fight against the destroyers. It's not the best book I ever read but it shows promise and I think the writer has potential to become very good. I think some of the descriptions could have been better and left me wondering a little but on the other hand there was a lot of imagination within the story which made up for this. The characters could have used a little more depth but they were good enough for you to feel bothered.
Overall it's a page turner, easy to read and interestingly written for someone who likes sci-fi."

*****

I wish I knew what to say. However, I love the way the story ended. I like Fantasy and Science Fiction. I don't think that will ever change. 

****

Kisses to all! Night Night.

No comments: