Art Store

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Author Land

This morning I have been thinking about a few things and one of those things is the relationship that some authors forge. It would be nice to see other authors support each other instead of bring each other down. Recently I noticed a growing trend on a forum that I frequent. Authors were attacking other authors. One of the things that I noticed with the publishing company that owns the rights to my first book was the relationship the authors have with each other.. So this morning I think it's time that the self published authors start doing things a little differently.

#1. Play Fair.

It hurts us all when authors wage wars against other authors and write nasty reviews in order to bring down  ratings. It's a career you are playing with...so please be nice.

#2. Stop having people write five star ratings for your reviews that happen to be your friends and family.

Nothing kills readers more than opening  a book up after seeing 40 five star reviews only to find that the book is horrible. Don't insult your reader. I could run out and ask my family and friends for reviews. However, I don't do that because it wouldn't be fair. Some authors speak up for others who do this, but please understand that it hurts us all.

#3. Don't Be Afraid to Ask for Help.

Recently I figured out that my book Blend In Harpy Hill hasn't sold a copy yet. I didn't know what to do, so I turned to other authors. I received a great deal of valuable information. My cover and my description both seemed to be the problem. I was afraid to ask for help, but I knew I was in over my head! So, I had to swallow my pride and ask for help.

#4. Be Brave

Self publishing isn't easy by any means. Writing the story is the fun part, but after the story is written..fun walks right out the door. One of the hardest things for me is marketing. Nothing about marketing is easy. Marketing is a pain from picking the right cover, to writing the right blurb. Don't stop trying and remember that there are others just like you...trying to do the same thing.

#5. TRUST YOUR READERS

I think this is the most important part. We have to learn how to trust our readers. We need to listen to them. This is the reason I don't play around with reviews. I have learned that every review counts for something. It might not be the review you want, but I bet it can help you to some degree. Things are getting better, and I think self published authors are getting better. You will always have your critics. Learn from the bad and focus on doing great things.

Have a great day...

No comments: