Art Store

Friday, May 27, 2011

My first rejection letter for The Druid's Dark Plan

"Dear Ms. Santiago:

Thanks for your query.

As to your material I'm afraid I will be passing -- I'm just not
enthusiastic enough about the concept of your story to feel that I'd
be the right agent for the project. I realize it is difficult to judge
your potential from a query; nevertheless please know that I give
serious attention to every letter, outline, and writing sample I
receive.

Sorry I couldn't give you a more positive reply. Thanks for thinking
of me, though, and best of luck in your search for representation.

Sincerely,"
Blah Blah Blah

Well at least I got something back...I thought I would be like oh nooo. Or I would be crying myself to sleep. However it's hard to feel bad about it. I guess my whole point in looking for an agent is to show people that it isn't that damn easy to get people to really look at your stuff. One agent had on his website that 99% of the query letters he receives.... are denied. So that means damn new everyone that sends him something gets a big fat no. Sadly this is the reason why a lot of self published authors don't get respect.

 I have read some stories on how a few traditionally published authors were published because of who they knew. So, if you are a author who is self published the only way you will get respect is by the readers. Guys we can't even get reviews in some cases. The truth is, we are standing at the door to a near era of authors . If you want to see the playing field even ; you need to stick beside the self published authors. Who knows one day you might have a story that you wish to tell. Would you want the door shut in your face before it ever opens? Just think about it...99% hear the word no. How many other agents are that way? I write fantasy and there are only a hand full of real agents that deal with fantasy. So, if one is telling people from the jump that he tells 99% of his people no....one would wonder what does he say yes to?

To get to the main publishing houses you need one of two things to happen most of the time. You need an agent or a book that does great. Most of the main publishing houses will not open anything if it doesn't come from an agent. There are sharks out there ....that will tell you anything to get you to sign on the dotted line. Trust me I know this. So think about that the next time you think oh no not another self published author. I think it takes a lot of talent to design and put together your own book covers. I had a program that I purchased that helped me come up with my book covers. I can say I did everything on my own.

All I really need is something nobody can give me, but you....reviews.

http://amzn.com/B004VGVAE4 The Vampire's Salvation

Uk link  http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004VGVAE4 The Vampire's Salvation

No comments: