Art Store

Friday, April 29, 2011

Lessons learned from the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge or better yet Prince and Princess of our hearts...

As a small African American girl growing up in the South I recall many moments when I was branded a liar for believing in the unbelievable. I recall in class one day when I was no more than ten years old being asked a question. The teacher asked us what we wanted to be when we grew up. I raised my hand and stated I wanted to be a princess. My answer got back to my mother, and she told me I shouldn’t talk crazy things in public. The idea of wanting to be a princess came from the idea of wanting to be something more than I knew possible at the moment. I didn’t see the boundaries. I’m glad Kate Middleton didn’t see her imaginary boundaries either. I might not be the princess I set out to be, however I’m happy with the author in me.
One day when I was in high school a teacher asked everyone who wanted to go to college to raise their hand. The group that raised their hand was known as the smart children while the others including myself just looked around. The teacher went on to tell us that less than half of the children who raised their hands would go to college. I recall going home that day feeling utterly defeated. Again my dreams had been crushed by someone I looked up to.

I never dreamed there would be a college degree with my name on it, or books waiting to be published with my initials on them. If you want something out of life, look at those who have broken the molds of the old. Do the unthinkable! Rise above what you are told. Live out your dreams, and face your fears.

No comments: